Brookline Historical Society
Fire, Police, Town Administration

Town Hall (3rd)
On the left are houses on Prospect St. which were removed by late 1898 for the new police station / court building that opened in the fall of 1900. On the right is the corner of the building housing the Robart brothers’ furniture business at 317 Washington St., still standing.
[Source: Brookline Preservation Department]
Daniel G. Lacy Driving New Snow Plow
This photo appeared in an unidentified publication on March 13, 1923. Driving the town’s new caterpillar tractor with snow plow is Daniel G. Lacy, then Brookline’s Forestry Department superintendent and subsequently superintendent of the combined Highway and Forestry Department.
Public Baths, Bathers
[Source: Digital Commonwealth]
Public Baths, Woman Drying Hair
Public Baths, 1909
Public Baths
Public Baths, Tappan St.
On the left the rear of 41 Clark St. can be viewed.
[Source: Brookline Preservation Department]
Public Baths, Tappan St.
Note the slide coming from the second floor and the quote from Shakespeare’s “The Tempest” engraved above.
[Source: Digital Commonwealth]
Town Hall (1st)
Built in 1825 on Walnut St. Served as Brookline’s first high school from 1843-1856. Purchased by the Unitarian-Universalist First Parish in 1890.
Town Hall (2nd), Prospect St.
Built 1845. This building became police headquarters in 1873 when a new much larger, town hall was opened across the street on the corner with Washington St.
Town Hall (3rd)
Town Hall (3rd), 1906
Town Hall (3rd)
Looking from Washington St. , Prospect St. on the left.
Town Hall (3rd)
Retirement Party of Mr. Burke from the Water Department, 1949
Mr. Burke from the Water Department; flanked by Mr Bushway (l.) and Mr. Paine (r.)
Preparation for the 4th Town Hall
The third town hall is on th left.
[Source: Brookline Preservation Department]
Retirement Party of Mr. Burke from the Water Department, 1949
Inside the old Town Hall
Town Hall (4th), 1964
First Parish Church, Third Building, 1880s
This is the third iteration of the First Parish Unitarian Church. It replaced the second building, on the same site, in 1848 and, in turn, was torn down in 1891 and replaced by the current First Parish Unitarian Church.