Brookline Historical Society
The Farm

Houses Along Pond Ave.
Brookline Village is in the distance in the right half. Morss Ave. is entering Pond Ave. on the left. The large round holding tank of the Brookline Gas Light Co. is visible center right.
[Source: Digital Commonwealth]
"The Farm", 1958, Piror to Urban Redevelopment
Most of the center of the photo was razed in the early 1960s as part of an urban renewal program. The core area was known as "The Farm".
28 Flora St.
Razed for the Brook House complex.
Juniper St. Horse Car Stables
Juniper St. looking north toward Morss Ave. The brick structure was the stable for the horses of the West End Street Railway Co. The second floor openings are for hay.
Walnut St. and Morss Ave.
Occupied at the time of this photo by the Brookline Riding Academy at #2 and #4 Walnut St, this building was first erected in 1875 by the Metropolitan Railway Co. to house the horse-drawn cars servicing the Brookline-Roxbury Crossing-Tremont House line. It was closed as a car house in December, 1894, with the move to new electrified routes, and demolished in 1918.
Brookline Village Car House of the West End Railway Co.
#2 Walnut St, the car house of the West End Street Railway Co. The building was first erected in 1875 by the Metropolitan Railway Co. to house the horse-drawn cars servicing the Brookline-Roxbury Crossing-Tremont House line. It was closed as a car house in December, 1894, with the move to new electrified routes, and demolished in 1937.
43 Pond Ave.
[Source: Brookline Preservation Commission]
The Farm, Unidentified
[Source: Brookline Preservation Commission]
The Farm, Unidentified
[Source: Brookline Preservation Commission]
The Farm, Unidentified
[Source: Brookline Preservation Commission]
The Farm, Unidentified
[Source: Brookline Preservation Commission]
33 Villa Lane
25 Villa Lane is to the right and 28 Walter Ave. is in the rear. Villa Lane was a two-block street originating at Lower Washington St. and running parallel to Pond Ave., one block to the west. It was part of the area known as “The Farm” that was almost entirely populated by people of Irish descent. It was completely leveled for today’s Brook House apartment complex.
[Source: Brookline Preservation Commission]
Boston Friendly Society, 10 Walter St.
[Source: Digital Commonwealth]
Walter Ave.
Left to right: #63, 59, 57, 55, viewed from Parson's Playground. All razed for the Brook House complex.
68 Walter Ave.
Flora St. to the right. All razed for the Brook House complex.
[Source: Brookline Preservation Commission]