Brookline Historical Society
Photo Collection

Parkman St., November 1915
Looking west from Powell St.
[Source: Olmsted]
19 Powell St., November 1910
Built in 1904 and designed by Loring & Phipps. Still standing.
[Source: Smithsonian]
58 and 62 Pleasant St.., November 1915
[Source: Olmsted]
Pleasant St. & Browne St.
Looking north across Beacon St. at the James Stearns property from the Thomas Sears house on Charles St. Foreground: greenhouse and carriage house of James Stearns. Middle ground left: house of James Stearns. Rear: two houses on Browne St. Left is the house of McPherson LeMoyne with an entrance at 93 Pleasant St. and right is the house of the James family at 52 Browne St.
Pleasant St.., November 1915
Looking north toward Commonwealth Ave. Buildings on the right are incorporatd into a modern-day composite building. House foreground right is still standing.
[Source: Olmsted]
Camp Norman Prince, 1917
The 101st Field Signal Battalion Corps was a unit in the 26th Yankee Division of the National Guard of Massachusetts. They reported for WWI duty on July 25th, 1917. In preparation for their deployment to France, they set up camp in this open field bounded by Dummer St. and Egmont St. that was then the playground of the Noble and Greenough School (located one block to the south). In the center of the photo is the house of James and Nora Ryan at 127 Egmont St. At the extreme right of the photo, barely visible above the tent, is a building on Dummer St., corner of Pleasant St., that still stands today, albeit greatly modified. The photographer would have been standing in the area of St. Paul St. looking west. The unit left its encampment for France in early September.
Pleasant St. Houses
Photographed from the Thomas Sears house on the southern side of Beacon St. Looking at the James Stearns property on the north side. Foreground, right: The greenhouse and carriage house at the rear of the property. Center: Side view of the Watson Freeman house at 49 Pleasant St. Left: rear of the James Stearns house at 31 Pleasant St.
[Source: Smithsonian]
Corner, Fuller St. and Hamilton Rd.
Fuller St. looking south to the left and Hamilton Rd. looking southwest to the right. The large apartment building is still standing as is the house in the distance on the right, the rear of 101-103 Abbottsford Rd.
[Source: Brookline Preservation Department]
1 Williams St.
Corner of Harvard St.
[Source: Brookline Preservation Department]
Williams St.
Looking east from Centre St., Harvard St. in the distance. Houses on the right at 24 and 16 Williams are still standing.
[Source: Brookline Public Library]
Williams St.
[Source: Brookline Public Library]
Winchester St., November 1915
Looking southeast toward Williams St. Left to right: #75 (no longer standing), 73/71, 67, Williams St intersection., apartment building on the southeast corner of Williams St.
[Source: Olmsted]
Winchester St., November 1915
Looking west. Small brick building is the front projection of a larger brick structure that still stands. It housed the Corey Hill Garage for automobiles (note the gas pump out front) and also housed stables. In the background is 64 Winchester which also still stands. Note houses from Atherton St. on the hillside above.
[Source: Olmsted]
Wellman St., November 1915
Photo left: side view of house at 35/37 Winchester St., apartment building at 9-15 Wellman, both still standing. Photo, center rear left: 53 Centre St. (partial view), still standing, garage on the right is not. Photo, right: apartment building is still standing, house in foreground (29/31 Winchester St.) is not.
[Source: Olmsted]
Devotion School Students
Circa 1920s. On the left is the Devotion School building constructed in 1892, no longer standing. In the middle is the rear of the Devotion house. An ell, previously on the right rear of the house, has been removed.
[Source: Joel Shield]
Currently unidentified. A new development possibly next to the old Babcock Pond?
Prev [1]  2