Brookline Historical Society
Houses of Worship

St. Paul's Church, circa 1888
Aspinwall House is on the far right, torn down 1891. St. Paul St. looking north to the left, Aspinwall Ave. to the right.
[Source: Digital Commonwealth]
St. Pauls Episcopal Church, 1912
Aspinwall Ave. to the right
St. Paul's Church
Aspinwall Ave. to the right, looking east; St Paul St to the left.
Aspinwall Ave. & St. Paul St., St. Paul's Church
Aspinwall Ave. to the right, looking east
Coolidge Corner Universalist Church
Built 1906; Coolidge Corner Theater today
St. Mary's Church of the Assumption, circa 1873
The Church was built in the early 1850s between Andem Place and Station Street to serve the growing Catholic, mostly Irish, population of Brookline. The first service was held on Christmas day, 1853. The current church on Linden Place was opened in 1886 and this building was later incorporated into the Holtzer Cabot factory on Station St.

The photo is one of a series of stereoviews taken circa 1873-1876 by Richard Hills and son. There is a bit of an optical illusion in the left foreground. Shown is the wooden fence from the property on the other side of Andem Place.
[Source: Digital Commonwealth]
M.E. Church, 2 Cypress St.
No longer standing. Cypress St. to the right, Washington St., looking south, to the left.
Brookline Village, Harvard Congregational Church, aka the Bethany Sunday School, built 1844
Washington St. facing the mouth of Cypress St.; School St. to the right
Church, Beacon St.
Between Washington Sq. and Cleveland Circle
St. Mark's Church, Park St.
Park St. in front, Vernon St on the right
Baptist Church, Beacon & Park Sts.
All Saint's Church
Beacon St. and Dean Rd.
Baptist Church, 1876
Harvard St., corner Pierce St. From the series of photographs of the Village by Richard Hills.
[Source: Brookline Preservation Department]
St. Mary of the Assumption Church, Built 1886
Corner of Harvard St. and Linden St. Built to serve newly immigrated Irish Catholics.
Priests, likely from St. Mary of the Assumption Church
Temple Ohabei Shalom, 1928
Photograph by the Boston Herald newspaper on November 25, 1928 for a story on the upcoming dedication ceremony on December 12. At the time, the congregation was already the oldest in Boston at 86 years old. The still-undeveloped land on Kent St., part of a large estate, can be glimpsed on the left. Beacon St. is in the foreground.
St. Aidan's Church
Freeman St. , built 1912
Harvard Congregational Church; Erected 1873
Corner Marion St. and Harvard St.
Harvard Congregational Church, Harvard St. South of Coolidge Corner
Church of St. Lawrence, 774 Boylston St.
Second Roman Catholic church to open (1897) in Brookline. Boylston St. west of Chestnut Hill Ave.
 1  [2] Next