Brookline Historical Society
Beacon St., 1887 Series, Before the Widening

Beacon St. Looking West From Carlton St., 1887
William B. Chaplin's house and stable are visible on the right.

From the 1887 photo series taken just before the widening of Beacon St.
[Source: Digital Commonwealth]
Beacon St., Looking West From Hawes Street, The House of Charles U. Cotting, 1887
This photo may show the beginning of work for the widening of Beacon St. The group of men in the background are felling a tree; the piles of dirt might surround a tree stump; the fence along Beacon is being dismantled.

From the 1887 photo series taken just before the widening of Beacon St.
[Source: Digital Commonwealth]
Beacon St. Looking East From Kent St., 1887
On the north side of Beacon Street is the Amory Estate. In the far distance is the carriage house of Charles Cotting on Hawes St. On the near right is the estate of David Sears on Kent St.

From the 1887 photo series taken just before the widening of Beacon St.
[Source: Digital Commonwealth]
Beacon St. East of Powell St., 1887
The left border of the photo is Beacon St. going west toward Powell. The Amory Estate is on the right.

From the 1887 photo series taken just before the widening of Beacon St.
[Source: Digital Commonwealth]
Beacon St. & Powell, The Amory Estate, 1887
Looking north from Beacon. Powell St. is just off to the left. Built in 1846, located at today's 20 Amory Street (Amory Park is toward the right), the house burned down after the death of Anna Amory in 1895. The post system that surrounded the Amory property can be seen on the left along with the stone tunnel under Powell St. for the creek.

From the 1887 photo series taken just before the widening of Beacon St.
[Source: Digital Commonwealth]
Corner of Powell St. and Beacon St.
William Amory estate viewed on the hill.

From the 1887 photo series taken just before the widening of Beacon St.
[Source: Brookline Preservation Department]
View from St. Paul St., 1887
Beacon St. looking west is on the far right. In the middle are the house and outbuildings of Charles Stearns. In the far-left corner of the photo, the steeple of the Harvard Congregational Church on Harvard St. can be glimpsed. The house blocking the view of the church may be that of J. G. Stearns on Longwood Ave. The fencing behind it is probably tracing Sewall Ave.

This is one of two unusual early photos taken in this area, it is probably date before 1880.

From the 1887 photo series taken just before the widening of Beacon St.
[Source: Brookline Preservation Department]
Beacon St., Looking East From St. Paul, 1887
The building of carpenter Josiah N. Christie, with a sign hanging in front, is in the distance along the edge of Beacon. On the right is the house of Marshall Stearns and at the center is the house of Edward Serrano Dane.

From the 1887 photo series taken just before the widening of Beacon St.
[Source: Digital Commonwealth]
St. Paul St., 1887
Looking north from Beacon St. The house at 36 Browne St. is visible on the left, no longer standing.

From the 1887 photo series taken just before the widening of Beacon St.
[Source: Brookline Preservation Department]
Beacon St., Looking West toward Coolidge Corner From St. Paul St., 1887
On the north side of Beacon, the Coolidge & Brother store is barely visible in the center, behind trees.
Next is the James Whitney house on the corner of Pleasant Street, then the John G. Stearns house at 24 Pleasant Street, and finally the complex of the James Stearns house at 31 Pleasant Street, seen from the rear with conservatory and carriage house (left to right, respectively).
Left, on the south side of Beacon Street, you may see a horse & carriage approaching the C. H. Stearns house.

From the 1887 photo series taken just before the widening of Beacon St.
[Source: Digital Commonwealth]
James Whitney House, Pleasant St., 1887
Viewed from Beacon St.

From the 1887 photo series taken just before the widening of Beacon St.
[Source: Digital Commonwealth]
James Whitney House, Pleasant St., 1887
Beacon St. is running along the left border of the photo, the turn onto Pleasant is just visible in the foreground. On the left, in the distance, is the Coolidge & Brother store.

From the 1887 photo series taken just before the widening of Beacon St.
[Source: Digital Commonwealth]
Beacon St. Looking West From Pleasant St., 1887
Near left is the side of the old school house that was torn down for the widening. In the far distance is the watering station in fron of the Coolidge & Brother store.
[Source: Digital Commonwealth]
Coolidge Corner: Coolidge & Brother General Store, 1887
Harvard St. looking north toward Brighton on the right. Beacon St. heading west is to the left. Store established 1857, replaced by S.S. Pierce building.

From the 1887 photo series taken just before the widening of Beacon St.
[Source: Brookline Preservation Department]
Coolidge Corner, Coolidge & Brother Store, 1887
Going east on Beacon to the right. Hay barn on the left, horse drinking at the watering fountain to the right.

From the 1887 photo series taken just before the widening of Beacon St.
[Source: Digital Commonwealth]
Beacon St. Looking West From Coolidge Corner, 1887
Water trough is at corner of Harvard St. in front of the Coolidge & Brother Store; Andrew J. Harrington house is across the street on the right, it was later moved to Longwood Ave. after the widening of Beacon St.

From the 1887 photo series taken just before the widening of Beacon St.
[Source: Digital Commonwealth]
Beacon St.East of Webster Ave., Glidden W. Joy House, 1887
Andrew J. Harrington hose on the left, William Coolidge house on the right.

From the 1887 photo series taken just before the widening of Beacon St.
[Source: Joel Shield]
Beacon St. East of Webster Ave., Glidden W. Joy House, 1887
Andrew J. Harrington house on the left, William Coolidge house on the right.

From the 1887 photo series taken just before the widening of Beacon St.
[Source: Joel Shield]
Beacon St. at Webster Ave, 1887
Looking east from the corner of Beacon & Webster Ave., one block west of Coolidge Corner. The William Coolidge house is in the foreground followed by the Glidden W. Joy house to its left. Webster Ave. goes to the right. The Coolidge house was moved to Williams St. after the widening of Beacon St.

From the 1887 photo series taken just before the widening of Beacon St.
[Source: Digital Commonwealth]
Beacon St. East of Webster Ave, 1887
Looking west on Beacon St. From left to right: the William Coolidge house, Webster Ave. entering Beacon St., the Samuel Hutchinson house.

From the 1887 photo series taken just before the widening of Beacon St.
[Source: Digital Commonwealth]
 1  [2] [3] Next