 |
347 Harvard St., Devotion House, circa 1898
The barn of the Edward Devotion house has been demolished in preparation for the construction of the new wing of the Devotion School. On the extreme left, the corner of 20 Stedman St., constructed in 1898, is barely visible next to the tree. There is a small outbuilding just to the left of the Devotion house, not seen in older photos or viewed on atlases of the time. Its purpose and origin have not yet determined. The rear of the newly-built Combination Engine fire house on Devotion St. can be seen along with a small section of its tower. To the right is the carriage barn of 60 Babcock St. and the long fence going behind the properties on Babcock St.
[Source: Digital Commonwealth]
|
 |
347 Harvard St., Devotion House
On the left is a small outbuilding, not seen in older photos or viewed on atlases of the time, whose purpose and origin have not yet determined. Directly behind it, the rear corner of the newly-built Combination Engine fire house on Devotion St. can be glimpsed. To the right of the fire house is the carriage barn of 60 Babcock St. and the long fence going behind the properties on Babcock St. On the far right is the 1892 Devotion School building.
[Source: Digital Commonwealth]
|
 |
347 Harvard St., Devotion House, 1914
Construction materials can be seen by the car in front of the newly-built third building of the Devotion School which is still standing.
[Source: Historic New England]
|
 |
Beacon St. Between Harvard St. and Webster Ave, 1887
Glidden W. Joy house. Andrew J. Harrington house is to the left, the William Coolidge house if off screen on the right.
From the 1887 photo series taken just before the widening of Beacon St., most likely by Augustine H. Folsom, a Boston photographer.
[Source: Joel Shield]
|
 |
Beacon St. Between Harvard St. and Webster Ave., 1887
Glidden W. Joy house.The porch will be removed and the road edge will be much closer to the house with the widening of Beacon St.
From the 1887 photo series taken just before the widening of Beacon St., most likely by Augustine H. Folsom, a Boston photographer.
[Source: Joel Shield]
|
 |
Widening of Beacon St. at Coolidge Corner, circa 1888
Looking east from Coolidge Corner at the circa 1888. The Coolidge & Brother store is on the left. On the right side of Beacon St., from left to right, are:
- House of Charles Stearns, newly relocated away from the former edge of Beacon St.
- Intersection with Harvard St.
- Empty area where the Andrew Harrington had been. It was moved to Longwood Ave.
- House of Glidden W. Joy, with the front porch removed and situated closer to the street after the widening.
[Source: Digital Commonwealth]
|
 |
Beacon St. at Webster Ave, 1887
Looking east from the corner of Beacon & Webster Ave., one block west of Coolidge Corner. The William Coolidge house is in the foreground followed by the Glidden W. Joy house to its left. Webster Ave. goes to the right. The Coolidge house was moved to Williams St. after the widening of Beacon St.
From the 1887 photo series taken just before the widening of Beacon St., most likely by Augustine H. Folsom, a Boston photographer.
[Source: Digital Commonwealth]
|
 |
Beacon St. East of Webster Ave, 1887
Looking west on Beacon St. From left to right: the William Coolidge house, Webster Ave. entering Beacon St., the Samuel Hutchinson house.
From the 1887 photo series taken just before the widening of Beacon St., most likely by Augustine H. Folsom, a Boston photographer.
[Source: Digital Commonwealth]
|
 |
Beacon St. just west of Coolidge Corner
Looking west on Beacon between Harvard St. & Centre St.. Note For Sale sign where current Brookline Savings Bank is located. Emily Northend house is on the left at the northeast corner of Centre St.
|
 |
John Emery Hoar House, 1887
1372 Beacon St. Centre St. is on the right, looking east on Beacon. Hoar was master of the high school and the first town librarian.
From the 1887 photo series taken just before the widening of Beacon St., most likely by Augustine H. Folsom, a Boston photographer.
[Source: Digital Commonwealth]
|
 |
John Emery Hoar House, 1887
1372 Beacon St., looking west. Centre St. is off photo to the right, Sarah Mellon house is on the far left. Hoar was master of the high school and the first town librarian.
From the 1887 photo series taken just before the widening of Beacon St., most likely by Augustine H. Folsom, a Boston photographer.
[Source: Digital Commonwealth]
|
 |
Beacon St., Circa 1920
Looking west, Winchester St. comes in in the distance, Center is just off screen to the right. The two-story building housing the storefronts in the foreground was constructed 1914-15 replacing the house of D. Blakely Hoar at 1372 Beacon St. All structures still stand today. The stores from right to left:
- 1372 Beacon: Henry S. Hatch, Undertaker
- 1374 Beacon: Beacon News Co. Magazines can be seen hanging in the window.
- 1374a Beacon: Coolidge Corner Shoe Repairing Co. James De Luca, proprietor.
- 1376 Beacon: Kim Wah Laundry
From postcard
|
 |
Webster St. at Park St. and Beacon St.
Looking south from Beacon St. Webster St. is slant left and Park St. is slant right. From right to left:
- Baptist Church
- 46 Webster St.
- 40 Webster St.
- 34 Webster St.
- 26 and 32 Webster St.
[Source: Brookline Public Library]
|
 |
Park St., Corner Beacon St.
Looking at the west side of Park St. with Beacon St. just offscreen to the right. From a stereoview labeled as the Mann house with the signature of an Emma L. Johnson (unidentified). Nehemiah Pittman Mann, Jr. lived here, 1381 Beacon St., from approximately 1869 to 1880. The house at 114 Park St., partially visible to the left, is that of Mann’s father, also named Nehemiah Pittman Mann. The father died in January, 1880 after which the son moved to Cambridge. The estimated date of this photo is between 1880 and 1887.
|
 |
Beacon St. at Park St., 1887
Samuel Hutchinson house. Beacon St. going west to the right; Park St. going south to the left.
From the 1887 photo series taken just before the widening of Beacon St., most likely by Augustine H. Folsom, a Boston photographer.
[Source: Digital Commonwealth]
|
 |
Beacon St. at Park St., 1887
Samuel Hutchinson house. Beacon St. going east to the left.
From the 1887 photo series taken just before the widening of Beacon St., most likely by Augustine H. Folsom, a Boston photographer.
[Source: Digital Commonwealth]
|
 |
Sarah A Mellen House, 1382 Beacon St., 1887
Beacon St. going west to the left. Winchester St. to the left after the house. On the right is the D. Blakely Hoar house at 1372 Beacon St.
From the 1887 photo series taken just before the widening of Beacon St., most likely by Augustine H. Folsom, a Boston photographer.
[Source: Digital Commonwealth]
|
 |
Sarah A Mellen House, Beacon St.
Beacon St. going west to the left. Winchester St. to the left after the house. Summit Ave. can be see in the background.near the top of Corey Hill.
[Source: Digital Commonwealth]
|
 |
1378-1392 Beacon St., 1911
On the northeast corner of Beacon and Winchester Streets, these buildings were each constructed as an eight-family apartment house, all still standing. Each one was imprinted with a name. From right to left: the Windsor, Wrexham, Tamworth, and Wedgemoir at #1378-1392 Beacon Street and the Richelieu and Winchester at #1-5 Winchester Street. They were all designed by W. H. Andrews in 1902-03 and were built by Peleg Briggs Wadsworth, a real estate developer. Andrews designed these brick and limestone buildings using a number of architectural elements found in the designs of other Beacon Street buildings dating from the late nineteenth and early twentieth centuries: rounded bay windows alternating with flat facades; projecting cornices with brackets and dentils; and center entrances.
[ref. Brookline Preservation Dept.]
On the right is a partial view of the D. Blakely Hoar house at 1372 Beacon St.
Photo labeled "35839".
[Source: Joel Shield]
|
 |
Sarah A Mellen House, Beacon St., 1887
Beacon St. going east to the right. Entrance to Winchester St. on the far left.
From the 1887 photo series taken just before the widening of Beacon St., most likely by Augustine H. Folsom, a Boston photographer.
[Source: Digital Commonwealth]
|