The Society
Historical Information
Photo & Map Collections
Exploring Brookline
Links
Program Archives
|
Schools
 |
Pierce Grammar School, Prospect St., circa 1876
The students are arrayed in front of the original Pierce Grammar School. There are a number of older-appearing students so it can be assumed that the photo includes students from the high school that was just next door.
There were two Pierce School buildings, Grammar and Primary. This is the original Grammar building, built in 1855 on the west side of Prospect St. This building was incorporated into the 1904 replacement building for the Primary School, still standing, and its right side can be viewed there today.
[Source: Brookline Public Library]
|
 |
Pierce Primary School
There were two Pierce buildings, Grammar and Primary. A new, larger, Pierce Grammar School had recently opened on School St. in 1901. This building, the new Primary School building, was opened in 1904 as part of an expansion of both schools. It incorporated parts of the old Pierce Grammar School, accessible today around the right side, and still stands today as the Pierce Historical Building.
|
 |
Pierce Grammar School, 1905
Facing School St. Opened in 1901 as a replacement for the much smaller school located behind it on Prospect St. No longer standing.
|
 |
Pierce Grammar School
Facing School St. Opened in 1901 as a replacement for the much smaller school located behind it on Prospect St. No longer standing.
|
 |
Pierce Grammar School, Kindergarten, 1892
Page 14, plate 7288. From an album of fifty photographs of Brookline schools, classrooms, and examples of clay modeling, wood-working, and cooking. Produced for the 1893 World's Columbian Exposition.
[Source: Brookline Preservation Department]
|
 |
Pierce Grammar School, Third Grade, 1892
Page 15, plate 7289. From an album of fifty photographs of Brookline schools, classrooms, and examples of clay modeling, wood-working, and cooking. Produced for the 1893 World's Columbian Exposition.
[Source: Brookline Preservation Department]
|
 |
Pierce Grammar School, Fifth Grade, 1892
Page 16, plate 7290. From an album of fifty photographs of Brookline schools, classrooms, and examples of clay modeling, wood-working, and cooking. Produced for the 1893 World's Columbian Exposition.
[Source: Brookline Preservation Department]
|
 |
Pierce Grammar School, Sixth Grade, 1892
Page 17, plate 7291. From an album of fifty photographs of Brookline schools, classrooms, and examples of clay modeling, wood-working, and cooking. Produced for the 1893 World's Columbian Exposition.
[Source: Brookline Preservation Department]
|
 |
Pierce Grammar School, Seventh Grade, 1892
Page 18, plate 7292. From an album of fifty photographs of Brookline schools, classrooms, and examples of clay modeling, wood-working, and cooking. Produced for the 1893 World's Columbian Exposition.
[Source: Brookline Preservation Department]
|
 |
Pierce Grammar School, Seventh Grade, 1892
Page 19, plate 7293. From an album of fifty photographs of Brookline schools, classrooms, and examples of clay modeling, wood-working, and cooking. Produced for the 1893 World's Columbian Exposition.
[Source: Brookline Preservation Department]
|
 |
Newton Street (Putterham) School , Newton St. at Grove St.
Brookline Water Works High Pumping Station visible behind the school.
|
 |
The Newton Street (Putterham) School and the Almshouse
“The almshouse was constructed in 1883 on Newton Street, near the Putterham School. The almshouse provided Brookline poor with shelter, food, and work, and produced and sold items such as wood, potatoes, and hay. The almshouse was converted to an infirmary in 1931. On the site of the almshouse, the Town built various hospitals including the first hospital in 1894, later named the Contagious Disease Hospital. In 1901, a complex of six buildings were constructed to house patients with diptheria and scarlet fever. In 1916, a new tuberculosis hospital was opened. All of the hospitals and the old almshouse were demolished in 1954.” [source: brooklinema.gov]
|
 |
Newton Street (Putterham) School , Newton St. at Grove St., circa 1900
Sign in the front says Newton St. and lists mileages to various locations
|
 |
Newton Street (Putterham) School
[Source: Joel Shield]
|
 |
Putterham School Ceremony, May 12, 1926
A bronze tablet, still in place today, was affixed to the building above the front two windows and unveiled at this afternoon ceremony. On the right the tablet is covered with a cloth and there are poles leading up to it, presumably in preparation for the unveiling. A presentation was given by Rebecca (Hyde) Silsby, perhaps the standing woman facing the group in the photo, who taught at the school from 1871-1877 and whose sister, Mary Elizabeth Hyde, taught there from 1887-1902.
The official name for the school, “Newton Street School”, was retired with the unveiling and changed back to its historical version, “The Putterham School”.
Photo by Harris W. Reynolds
|
 |
Newton Street (Putterham) School Building 1931
Grove & Newton Sts.,
|
 |
Newton Street (Putterham) School, Newton St. at Grove St., circa 1895
|
 |
Newton Street School (Putterham) Carriage
Pictured in front of the Newton Street School (formerly Putterham) is the carriage known as “the barge”. It initially provided transportation for area students who were past the grade-three limit of the school and now attended the Heath School. It followed a three-mile route which began at the corner of Heath St. and Hammond St., the property of driver James Fegan, and proceeded along Hammond St., Newton St., Clyde St., Warren St., and back to Heath St.
|
 |
Newton Street (Putterham) School Students
|
 |
Newton Street (Putterham) School, Newton St. at Grove St.
|
|