 |
Cameron St., 1917
Standing to the right of todays 40/42 Cameron St. looking north at the rears of 110, 106, 102, 100 Davis Ave., all still standing.
[Source: Digital Commonwealth]
|
 |
Cameron St., 1917
Cameron St. circumscribed three sides of a square with the fourth side being Boylston St. This view is on the north segment looking north over the railroad tracks at the rear of 114 Davis Ave.
[Source: Digital Commonwealth]
|
 |
Cameron St., 1917
Looking east from the rear of 17 Cameron St. with the rear of houses on Winthrop Place on the right.
[Source: Digital Commonwealth]
|
 |
Boylston St., January 22, 1913
Looking east from the south side of Boylston St. one block east of Cypress St. On the left is the apartment building at 300 Boylston St. On the right, at 316 Boylston St., is the house of George S. Cushing which was torn down in 1914 by the owner of the garage behind it.
[Source: Digital Commonwealth]
|
 |
Boylston St., circa 1914
Looking at the south side of Boylston St. Cypress St. is to the right. On the left are the Elizabeth B. Hall Stables, the building is still in use as a car barn at an auto dealership. On the right, extending behind the house (barely visible behind the trees) is the Boylston Garage for cars. Its sign is visible on the far right. In the rear is a partial view of 20 E. Milton Rd., still standing.
[Source: Digital Commonwealth]
|
 |
Boylston St. at Cypress Ave.
On the left side of the building are 353-359 Boylston St. The pharmacy of John L. McGown is on the right side, at 135 Cypress St. He lived upstairs in the Hotel Madris. His business was first listed there in 1899, at or near the opening of the building, and remained there until 1914 when he joined the Beaconsfield Pharmacy in Washington Square.
|
 |
Cypress St. Playground
Standing in front of the high school looking east at Cypress St. Numbers 90, 96/98, 102 all still standing.
[Source: Digital Commonwealth]
|
 |
Boylston St. at Cypress St, December, 1915
Looking from Cypress St. north across Boylston St. At 133 Cypress St. is the Hotel Madris. Underneath the hotel on the far left at 361 Boylston St. Is the grocery store of Lucius N. Danforth who was forced to move his newly-acquired store in the Village when the building was knocked down for the widening of Harvard St. in 1905.
[Source: Olmsted]
|
 |
Northeast Corner of Boylston St. & Cypress Ave., December, 1915
Looking north on Cypress St. from Boylston. The building, partially visible, at 353-359 Boylston St. still stands. Otherwise, only the one-story building, barely visible in the distance at 122 Cypress St., still stands. On the corner is Bentley Bros. Grocers at 351 Boylston St. On the right is the apartment building at 343/345 Boylston St.
[Source: Olmsted]
|
 |
Boylston St., 1956
From right to left:
- 253 Boylston St. on the corner of Smyth St.
- 261-263 Boylston St.
- 265-269 Boylston St.
- Gas station at the corner of Cameron St..
[Source: Digital Commonwealth]
|
 |
Shurtleff House, Boylston St.
Roughly located at 269 Boylston St. near the NE cprner with Cypress St. In a 1903 publication of the Historical Society entitled “Recollections of Brookline”, Mary W. Poor (daughter of Rev. John Pierce) wrote:
“Some of the more public-spirited of Brookline's citizens aspired to have an elegant and attractive school in which their sons could be fitted for college. I believe Mr. Richard Sullivan was one of the most active in carrying out this scheme. A structure worthy of beautiful Brookline was the result. It was built in 1820 and was modeled from a Greek temple, with Doric pillars, and was considered perfect as a work of art. It was commonly called the ‘Classical School.’ Well do I remember going to an exhibition in that school when a very young child…
The surroundings of this classic hall were lovely. Just behind it was the sweet spot since called ‘Brignal Banks’ on the shore of the brook already described as the ‘New Lane’ brook. Some time after, a Mr. Hubbard bought this schoolhouse and built directly behind it a boarding house and in front of it a wooden gymnasium, the first ever heard of in these regions. Years after, Dr. Shurtleff bought the house and used the gymnasium, which had been moved to the south of the house, for a stable. The dear old classical school became his drawing room. The change greatly detracted from the beauty of this gem of architecture as viewed from the street, but it was a fine drawing room. “
[Source: Brookline Preservation Department]
|
 |
Shurtleff House, Boylston St.
Roughly located at 269 Boylston St. near the NE corner with Cypress St. It was originally built as a school in 1820 and modeled from a Greek temple, with Doric pillars. A Boston physician, Dr. Samuel Atwood Shurtleff purchased it circa 1844 and converted it for use as his home.
[Source: Brookline Preservation Department]
|
 |
House of George Dawes, 298 Boylston St.
[Source: Brookline Public Library]
|
 |
Cypress St. Looking North By Walnut St., December, 1915
Trolley tracks are on Cypress, Walnut St. feeds in from the left. On the left is the house of the Francis family at 295 Walnut. On the right is 161 Cypress. Center rear are the back of houses on E. Milton Rd.
[Source: Olmsted]
|
 |
Chestnut St., November 1915
Looking southeast toward Kendall St. #60, foreground left, is still standing along with the others on that side.Only the stone fence remains on the right side.
[Source: Olmsted]
|
 |
74/82 Davis Ave., April 26, 1931
74 Davis Ave. is on the left and 82 Davis Ave. is on the right. In the distance, looking south, is the faint image of the Boylston School.
(ID) 065
(Slide ID) P 106-C
[Source: William Robert Murphy Collection]
|
 |
Runkle School, 50 Druce St.
(ID) 055
(Slide ID) P 25-15
[Source: William Robert Murphy Collection]
|
 |
300 Dudley St.
This house was built in the late 1840s by John E. Thayer and was accessed from Warren St. - both Lee St. and the extension of Dudley St. did not yet exist. A slightly confusing jumble of ownership names followed after his death. His widow married Robert C. Winthrop, her new husband moved into the house, and, for reasons unknown, that is how the house is now referenced. The Thayer’s daughter, Adele Granger Thayer, retained her name and later inherited the house. In 1900, it was acquired by Moses Williams. The 1900 footprint of the house is noticeably changed in the atlases as of 1907 but there is currently no record of any alterations. Two more owners ensued until the house was torn down in 1950 after a massive fire.
[Source: Digital Commonwealth]
|
 |
300 Dudley St.
This house was built in the late 1840s by John E. Thayer and was accessed from Warren St. - both Lee St. and the extension of Dudley St. did not yet exist. A slightly confusing jumble of ownership names followed after his death. His widow married Robert C. Winthrop, her new husband moved into the house, and, for reasons unknown, that is how the house is now referenced. The Thayer’s daughter, Adele Granger Thayer, retained her name and later inherited the house. In 1900, it was acquired by Moses Williams. The 1900 footprint of the house is noticeably changed in the atlases as of 1907 but there is currently no record of any alterations. Two more owners ensued until the house was torn down in 1950 after a massive fire.
[Source: Digital Commonwealth]
|
 |
Station E (Future Station 5) Devotion St. Fire Station
The station was opened in 1893 on Devotion St. to serve the North Brookline area where farm land was being rapidly transformed into housing developments. The front façade and doors were virtually identical to those of Hose Company #3 which had just opened in 1891. The station was later replaced by the current Fire Station 5 at 49 Babcock St.
(ID) 044
(Slide ID) P 24-27
[Source: William Robert Murphy Collection]
|