 |
Beacon St. East of Cleveland Circle, circa 1900
Looking at the north side of outer Beacon St., Clinton Rd. is in the foreground. Center left is the building at 1874-1880 Beacon St. that still stands. The south side of Beacon is completely undeveloped.
[Source: Brookline Preservation Department]
|
 |
Beacon St. East of Cleveland Circle, circa 1900
Looking at the north side of outer Beacon St., Clinton Rd. is in the foreground. On the far left is the house at 1842 Beacon St., no longer standing.
[Source: Brookline Preservation Department]
|
 |
Beacon St. at Englewood Ave., 1887
Looking east on Beacon St. several blocks from Cleveland Circle. Reservoir Hotel is off screen on the right, entrance to Englewood is on the left.
From the 1887 photo series taken just before the widening of Beacon St., most likely by Augustine H. Folsom, a Boston photographer.
|
 |
Reservoir Hotel, Beacon St. Opposite Englewood Ave, 1887
From the 1887 photo series taken just before the widening of Beacon St., most likely by Augustine H. Folsom, a Boston photographer.
[Source: Digital Commonwealth]
|
 |
Beacon St. & Englewood Ave, Reservoir Hotel, 1887
Looking east on Beacon, standing at today's Strathmore Rd. Seen from left to right:
- Englewood Ave entering on the left directly across from the hotel
- The Reservoir Hotel complex. Note two people standing in the rear. The hotel was opened circa 1870 and gained notoriety after a number of raids for illegally selling “intoxicating liquors” and even, in 1889, a number of men from neighboring towns were rounded up while attending a dog fight there. The property was cleared in 1891.
- The tracks of the Boston and Albany Railroad running along the ridge
-
From the 1887 photo series taken just before the widening of Beacon St., most likely by Augustine H. Folsom, a Boston photographer.
|
 |
Beacon St. West of Englewood Ave,1887
Looking east on Beacon, standing at today's Strathmore Rd. Seen from left to right:
- Englewood Ave entering on the left directly across from the hotel
- The Reservoir Hotel complex. Note two people standing in the rear. The hotel was opened circa 1870 and gained notoriety after a number of raids for illegally selling “intoxicating liquors” and even, in 1889, a number of men from neighboring towns were rounded up while attending a dog fight there. The property was cleared in 1891.
- The tracks of the Boston and Albany Railroad running along the ridge
-
From the 1887 photo series taken just before the widening of Beacon St., most likely by Augustine H. Folsom, a Boston photographer.
|
 |
Beacon Street Looking East from Chestnut Hill Ave., 1887
One of two photos taken from the same spot. Looking east from just east of Cleveland Circle.The Reservoir Hotel is on the right, opposite Englewood Avenue.
From the 1887 photo series taken just before the widening of Beacon St., most likely by Augustine H. Folsom, a Boston photographer.
[Source: Digital Commonwealth]
|
 |
Beacon Street Looking East near Chestnut Hill Ave., 1887
Englewood Avenue enters on the left in the far distance.
From the 1887 photo series taken just before the widening of Beacon St., most likely by Augustine H. Folsom, a Boston photographer.
[Source: Digital Commonwealth]
|
 |
Beacon Street Looking East from Chestnut Hill Ave., 1887
One of two photos taken from the same spot. Looking east from just east of Cleveland Circle. Englewood Ave. enters at the far right.
From the 1887 photo series taken just before the widening of Beacon St., most likely by Augustine H. Folsom, a Boston photographer.
[Source: Digital Commonwealth]
|
 |
Boston Elevated Railway Bus, Circa 1927
The Boston Elevated Railway opened a “de luxe” bus line between Brookline and Boston in 1927. It initially started in Coolidge Corner, that was later extended to Washington Square. The license plate of this bus, stopped in Cleveland Circle, is dated 1927 but it is not clear which route is involved. Beacon St. inbound is off screen to the right. Boston’s Sutherland Rd. descends in the middle of the photo.
[Source: Joel Shield]
|
 |
Reservoir Station, Boston and Albany Railroad
[Source: Iowa State]
|
 |
Reservoir Station, Boston and Albany Railroad
[Source: Iowa State]
|
 |
Reservoir Station, Boston and Albany Railroad
[Source: Iowa State]
|
 |
Early Beacon St. Trolley Car
Shown in front of the Oak Square, Brighton car barn. This car ran on Henry Whitney's groundbreaking streetcar line which started service in 1889. It was used on two routes: Beacon Street from Coolidge Corner to the Chestnut Hill Reservoir and from the Allston powerhouse to the car barn in Oak Square.
|
 |
First Electric Trolley Car, N. 443
This car was built in 1888 as a horsecar and converted by Henry Whitney's West End Railway Co. to run as the first electric trolley car in Brookline. The groundbreaking streetcar line started service in 1889 as part of the widening of Beacon Street and ran from Union Square, Allston over Harvard Street, Beacon Street, Massachusetts Avenue, and Boylston Street. The coupling for horses was left in place in case of the need for a tow. This location is unidentified.
|
 |
Trolley Car No. 443. January 1, 1889
This car was built in 1888 as a horsecar and converted by Henry Whitney's West End Railway Co. to run as the first electric trolley car in Brookline. The groundbreaking streetcar line started service in 1889 as part of the widening of Beacon Street and ran from Union Square, Allston over Harvard Street, Beacon Street, Massachusetts Avenue, and Boylston Street. The coupling for horses was left in place in case of the need for a tow.
[Source: Historic New England]
|
 |
Early Open-air Trolley Car
One of the early trolley cars to run on Beacon St. after an accident. Note the damage to the pillars on its right side. This location is unidentified.
|
 |
Enos Withington House, 629 Washington St.
Enos Withington was the co-owner of the tannery on Washington St. near Beacon
[Source: Digital Commonwealth]
|
 |
Clinton and Dean Rds., 1913
Looking northwest toward Beacon St. 233 Clinton Rd. is on the left. In the early morning hours of December 5, 1913 (the date imprinted on the photo is inaccurate), a large water main burst here flooding the neighborhood and damaging homes.
In the center of the photo is the car of fire chief George H. Johnson. It is a Knox Model “R” Chief’s Car that was delivered to the town in August, 1909. It could seat the chief and his driver up front, two firefighters in the back, and carried light equipment like a lantern, axe, and extinguisher. It was capable of traveling at speeds up to 50 mph and was a dramatic change from the horses that were used just a few years earlier.
[Source: Digital Commonwealth]
|
 |
Clinton Rd., 1914
The house in the foreground with the label was that of Joseph Nelson Manning and family. Daughter, Charlotte, was 3 ¾ years old at the time of the photo which perfectly matches the little girl standing in front. The younger boy is unidentified.
[Source: Digital Commonwealth]
|