 |
Lincoln School
On the right is the Lincoln Grammar School. On the left is the first Manual Training School which opened in 1894. Both buildings became the Lincoln School when the Manual Training relocated to a new building on Tappan St. in 1903. On the far left is the entrance to Walnut Path.
(ID) 050
(Slide ID) P 25-3
[Source: William Robert Murphy Collection]
|
 |
Boylston St. at Cypress St. 1912
Looking east on Boylston St. with Cypress St. on the right. On the corner is the house at 136 Cypress St., no longer standing. To the right is a partial view of 144 Cypress St., still standing. In the middle background are the rears of houses on E. Milton Rd., still standing.
(ID) 011
(Slide ID) P-5-6
(Notes) Replaces existing image
[Source: William Robert Murphy Collection]
|
 |
Boylston St., 1912
Looking west on Boylston St. The Lincoln School is on the left. On the immediate right is a partial view of 199/201 Boylston St. which is still standing.
(ID) 005
(Slide ID) P-5-9
[Source: William Robert Murphy Collection]
|
 |
Wright's Hill, Boylston St., May 19, 1920
(ID) 016
(Slide ID) P-34-1
[Source: William Robert Murphy Collection]
|
 |
1106 Boylston St.
(ID) 017
(Slide ID) P-2-15
(Notes) Two pieces
[Source: William Robert Murphy Collection]
|
 |
Boylston School
74 Davis St. can be glimsped in the rear.
(ID) 079
(Slide ID) P
[Source: William Robert Murphy Collection]
|
 |
Boylston St. at Kennard Rd.
Going east toward Cypress St. is to the left. From right to left:
- The street sign is oddly labeled “Clark Road”, which is on the other side of Boylston St., instead of Kennard Rd.
- 404 Boylston St. Highly renovated today and now 6 Kennard Rd.
- 402 Boylston St., still standing
(ID) 075
(Slide ID) P 3-2
[Source: William Robert Murphy Collection]
|
 |
Station D, First Location, 796 Boylston St., Appearance Post-1900
Located on the south side of Boylston St. east of Reservoir Rd. It opened in January 1891 and was eventually replaced by the current Station 4 located across the street at 827 Boylston St. To the left is 794 Boylston St., still standing.
This building is the second of two iterations which have presented some identification challenges. First, the fire house that was built two years later, in 1893, on Devotion St. had a virtually identical front façade and doors and the two have been conflated in publication. Second, photos after 1900 show a very different-looking building. But a closer look reveals that it’s the same building with several new feet added at the bottom and totally different doors added. This was because Boylston St. was lowered six feet for the trolley installation in 1900.
(ID) 042
(Slide ID) P 25-24
[Source: William Robert Murphy Collection]
|
 |
Outer Boylston St. (Speculative)
This is probably outer Boylston St. looking east
(ID) 090
(Slide ID) P 102-19
[Source: William Robert Murphy Collection]
|
 |
Clinton Path
(ID) 099
(Slide ID) P-34-11
[Source: William Robert Murphy Collection]
|
 |
Cramond Rd., April 18, 1931
(ID) 062
(Slide ID) P 108-B
[Source: William Robert Murphy Collection]
|
 |
Cypress St., 1931
Standing on Cypress St. looking toward Washington St. in the distance. On the right is 26 Cypress St. followed by Searle St. and 18/20 Cypress St., all still standing.
(ID) 077
(Slide ID) P 106-J
[Source: William Robert Murphy Collection]
|
 |
Cypress St. and Washington St. Corner, 1931
Standing on Cypress St. at Searle Ave. looking at Washington St.
(ID) 022
(Slide ID) P-106-L
[Source: William Robert Murphy Collection]
|
 |
74/82 Davis Ave., April 26, 1931
74 Davis Ave. is on the left and 82 Davis Ave. is on the right. In the distance, looking south, is the faint image of the Boylston School.
(ID) 065
(Slide ID) P 106-C
[Source: William Robert Murphy Collection]
|
 |
Runkle School, 50 Druce St.
(ID) 055
(Slide ID) P 25-15
[Source: William Robert Murphy Collection]
|
 |
Station E (Future Station 5) Devotion St. Fire Station
The station was opened in 1893 on Devotion St. to serve the North Brookline area where farm land was being rapidly transformed into housing developments. The front façade and doors were virtually identical to those of Hose Company #3 which had just opened in 1891. The station was later replaced by the current Fire Station 5 at 49 Babcock St.
(ID) 044
(Slide ID) P 24-27
[Source: William Robert Murphy Collection]
|
 |
Dwight St., 1933
Looking east from Babcock St.
(ID) 136
(Slide ID) P-195-199
[Source: William Robert Murphy Collection]
|
 |
Lawrence School
(ID) 030
(Slide ID) P 25-9
[Source: William Robert Murphy Collection]
|
 |
University Rd. and Gardner Rd. Junction, 1912
2 Gardner Rd is on the right, still standing. 555 Washington St. is acorss the street, no longer standing.
(ID) 156
(Slide ID) P-27-22
[Source: William Robert Murphy Collection]
|
 |
Unidentified
(ID) 018
(Slide ID) P-2-14
(Notes) Two pieces; not archived
[Source: William Robert Murphy Collection]
|