Brookline Historical Society
Recent Additions

285 Washington St., circa 1904
The focus of this photo is the residence and business of Gertrude F. Wallace, hairdresser, at 285 Washington St. But the other structures to the right provide a rare documentation of the demoltion of Harvard Hall in preparation for the erection of the building that is there today at the apex of Harvard and Washington streets.There is a workman on the roof of the just-closed furniture and upholstery business of Nelson C. Thompson. To the right of that, somewhat telescoped in size, is the Harvard Hall building housing two grocers and in the distance is the corner of the National Bank building.
[Source: Digital Commonwealth]
Harvard Square, Brookline Village, circa 1903
This photo most likey shows the final stage of the building at 11-13 Harvard Square. On the left,with its delivery wagons parked out front, is T. H. Dyer, Provisions. On the right, at #13 Harvard Sq., is Frank F. Seamens, Groceries. It appears that Lucius N. Danforth, a clerk at the Dyer store for two decades and at the George Joyce store there before that, has taken over the store. But the Danforth store will be short-lived: the building that exists today is about to be constructed there with Rhodes Bros. taking over occupancy.
[Source: Digital Commonwealth]
Harvard Square, Brookline Village, circa 1880
The one-story building, still standing in the center of the complex known as the "Rooney Block", houses Henry Collins & Co., Provisions. To the right, the store of Mayo & Paine Stoves became, circa 1883, the Paine Brothers when Mr. Mayo left the business and Henry K. Paine went into business with his brother, Isaac. The store of James Rooney, Boots and Shoes, is on the far right.
[Source: Digital Commonwealth]
Edward W. Packard, Grocer, Brookline Village
219 Washington St. from approx. 1879 - 1885, His brother, Eugene, was a clerk in the store.
[Source: Digital Commonwealth]
Boulevard Trust Co., Coolidge Corner, Circa 1925
Inbound side of Beacon St. at Coolidge Corner. [right to left] Boulevard Trust at 1319 Beacon St.; Frank W. Russell, Real Estate, at 1315 Beacon St.; Charles Stearns' house; a glimpse of the storefront at 1299 Beacon St. housing real estate brokers; the steeple of the Second Unitarian Society Parish House at 11 Charles St. (still standing); the house of George W. Wightman at 3 Charles St.

Also shown is the trolley for route #940 which was essentially the forerunner to the "C" line.
Cabot School, Marion St.
A four-room school house that opened in April 1888. Named after J. Eliot Cabot, a Brookline architect and one-time school committee member. When the school on Harvard and Pleasant streets was closed for the 1888 widening of Beacon St., the students moved to the Cabot School. Torn down in 1957 for subsidized housing now on the site.
Manual Training School, Tappan St.
[l. to r.] Manual Training School building, still standing; Public Baths, no longer standing; Municipal Gymnasium, no longer standing.
Netherlands Rd. bridge over the Muddy River [confirmation pending]
Looking northwest at the garage roof and rear of the Murray house at 203 Kent St.
The Old Longwood Ave. Bridge
Built in 1887, replacing a previous bridge. Taken down in August 1897. This photo was probably taken by Alexis H. French, the Brookline town engineer responsible for the design of the new stone bridge.
The Riverway Park and Old Longwood Ave. Bridge, circa 1896
[left to right] Looking west from the Riverway Park designed by Frederick Law Olmsted. A partial view of the foot bridge, still standing, going over the Muddy River toward the Winsor School; the wood bridge that was replaced by the current stone bridge in 1899; houses on Longwood Ave.; newly-constructed (1894) Chapel St.; roof of the new Longwood Boston and Albany railroad station. This photo was probably taken by Alexis H. French, the Brookline town engineer responsible for the design of the new stone bridge.
Prev [1] [2]  3 
 
© 2016 Brookline Historical Society. All rights reserved.