Brookline Historical Society
Coolidge Corner Area Photos

Beacon St. Looking West Toward Coolidge Corner, 1888
Newer Stearns House, corner Beacon & Pleasant, on the left. This photo has an excellent view of how the planks were slightly raised on the wooden sidewalks.
[Source: Digital Commonwealth]
Beacon St. at Pleasant St.
Looking east on Beacon toward St. Paul St. Corner of building from the Stearns property visible on the right
Coolidge Corner: Coolidge & Brother General Store, 1887
Harvard St. looking north toward Brighton on the right. Beacon St. heading west is to the left. Store established 1857, replaced by S.S. Pierce building.

From the 1887 photo series taken just before the widening of Beacon St.
[Source: Digital Commonwealth]
Coolidge Corner
Looking east on Beacon St.
Background left: carriages are traveling both directions on the northern side of Beacon St. with no visible traffic on the southern side, presumably because of the greater width of the northern side. The town passed an ordnance in 1924 established unidirectional traffic.
[Source: Iowa State]
Coolidge Corner
Looking east on Beacon St.
[Source: Iowa State]
Coolidge Corner Shelter
[Source: Iowa State]
Coolidge Corner, Circa 1920
This photo was taken at the same time as another photo posted on the Historic New England web site.
[Source: Historic New England]
Coolidge Corner, Circa 1920
Storefronts visible on the north side of Beacon St. include two businesses that were likely initial tenants in the newly-constucted (1913) building known as the "Pierce Block": the Stone Bros. at #1340 and A. M. Johnstone, tailor, at #1348. McElroy Bros. Real Estate, at 1352 Beacon, is first listed in the town directory of 1920. At the extreme left of the photo are the trailing letters from the sign of Simon's Shoe & Boot Shop, which opened in 1916 at #1350 and expanded in 1923 to include #1354 Beacon.

On the south side of Beacon, the third car from the left is identified as a Dodge Brothers Model Touring car, a model first introduced in 1914 and manufactured into the 1920s.

Visible on the northeast corner of Beacon and Harvard are Harvard Taxi, Poulin Bros. and Rexall.
[Source: Historic New England]
Coolidge Corner, Circa 1913
A number of To Let signs can be seen in the store windows on the left. It can be deduced that the building, replacing the previous building that was destroyed by fire in January 1913, has recently opened. The storefront, where this brown-brick building joins with the Pierce Building to its right, has the window letttering for the real estate firm of Harold G. King, at 1336 Beacon.
[Source: Historic New England]
Coolidge Corner, 1924
[Source: Historic New England]
Coolidge Corner: Coolidge & Brother General Store, Close-Up
Coolidge Corner District School
Removed with the widening of Beacon. Replaced by the Devotion School.
Coolidge Corner
Coolidge Apartment Building, 1913
N.E. Corner Sewall Ave and Stearns Rd.
Coolidge Corner, Early 1900s
Coolidge Corner, 1908
Coolidge Corner, 1905
Coolidge Corner, 1906
Coolidge Corner, S.S. Pierce Building
Coolidge Corner, 1913
 1  [2] Next
 
© 2016 Brookline Historical Society. All rights reserved.