Streets of Brookline

Prev - Large - Next
Beacon St. & Carlton St. Before 1888
Beacon St (l to r) probably just before its widening; Carlton St. looking north in the center. The driveway of John Ruggles is on the right. On the left is a school house that was built around the time of the widening of Beacon St. in 1851. There is no evidence that it was ever a public school. There is a record of its use as a private school in 1871 by Frances M. (“Fannie”) Welbasky. Welbasky (1841-1922) periodically operated “Miss Welbasky’s Home School for Girls” at various locations in Brookline until 1889. She had an interesting history. Her father was a recent immigrant from Russian and her mother, coincidentally named Susan Ruggles Plympton, was from an established early-European-settler family. Her mother apparently separated from her father shortly after their marriage. Her daughter never married and mother and daughter lived together, mostly in Brookline, until the mother’s death in 1885.

The school building was likely removed for the 1887 widening of Beacon St.

Lantern Slide Collection #14