Streets of Brookline


Prev - Zoom - Next
Washington St. at School St.
Standing on Washington St. looking north at the Methodist Church (later Bethany Sunday School), School St. is to the right. The steeple is in the first of three iterations, it was reduced in size over time.

The horse-drawn car is being pulled on rails which were first laid in 1859 and has reached its final stop at Washington and School streets. At these final stops the horse(s) would be unhitched and attached to the other end of the car and the route retraced. This car #7 is also seen in another Village photo, that one dated 1873.

[Courtesy of the Digital Commonwealth (CC BY-NC-ND). From the Brookline Photograph Collection published by the Public Library of Brookline]