Streets of Brookline


Prev - Zoom - Next
Punch Bowl Tavern
Located on the north side of today’s Lower Washington St. at approximately Pearl St. Walnut St. is to the left. This painting is good depiction of early Brookline before the Village became a center for businesses. The tavern was a meeting place for British soldiers before the Revolutionary War and when Boylston St., then the Worcester Turnpike, was created in 1806, it became a stage coach stop. The tavern was torn down in 1833 and its timbers were purportedly used in the construction of several houses on White Place.