Streets of Brookline

Prev - Zoom - Next
Construction of the Second Unitarian Society Parish House, Sewall Ave., circa 1901
The Society formed in 1896 and initially met in the Sears Chapel on Colchester St. They constructed this building on Sewall Ave., near Charles St., and began holding services there in early 1902. Visible on the right is the S. S. Pierce building and, on the left in the far distance, the Etsy mansion on top of Aspinwall Hill. The building was replaced in 1916 with the current structure at 11 Charles St.

[Photograph by Thomas Warren Sears from the J. Horace McFarland Collection, Archives of American Gardens. Courtesy of the Smithsonian Institution.]