Streets of Brookline


Prev - Zoom - Next
Second High School Building, With Extensions
Looking from Prospect St., School St. is on the right, the library is in the rear. This is the 1856 high school building with extensions added on both sides. By the late 1880s there was much discussion in town about the need for a bigger building to accommodate the rapidly growing population. These extensions were a stop-gap measure erected in late 1890 before the 1895 opening of the new high school building on Tappan St. It was demolished circa 1901 with the construction of the new Pierce Grammar School.

Courtesy, the Brookline Preservation Department