Streets of Brookline

Prev - Zoom - Next
The Putterham School and the Almshouse
“The almshouse was constructed in 1883 on Newton Street, near the Putterham School. The almshouse provided Brookline poor with shelter, food, and work, and produced and sold items such as wood, potatoes, and hay. The almshouse was converted to an infirmary in 1931. On the site of the almshouse, the Town built various hospitals including the first hospital in 1894, later named the Contagious Disease Hospital. In 1901, a complex of six buildings were constructed to house patients with diptheria and scarlet fever. In 1916, a new tuberculosis hospital was opened. All of the hospitals and the old almshouse were demolished in 1954.” [source:]