|
Looking east with the Sears Chapel in the background. This was the initial location of the Longwood station of the Boston and Albany Railroad. Both its small physical size and its location were disliked by local residents. Additionally, the Chapel Station was just a short distance away, at the end of Carlton St., adding another time-sapping stop/start for the steam engines. After contentious town meetings in the early 1890s, it was decided to consolidate the two stations into one at today’s location of the Longwood stop. To facilitate access to the new station Chapel St. was created and the station opened in 1894.
Note same man as in the Chapel Station photo along with another man on the far side.
Lantern Slide Collection #80
|