Streets of Brookline

Prev - Zoom - Next
Druce-Craft House, on the Denny Farm, Newton St.
Looking at rear of the house toward Newton St., Lagrange St. is to the left. This house stood roughly where today’s 648 Newton St. is located, a little east of LaGrange St. An approximate timeline is:
  • House built in the late 1600s by Vincent Druce, later assumed by his son. Then passed to the family of Ebenezer Craft and known as “Craft’s place”
  • 1859: Francis Parkman Denny, Sr. moves into the house
  • 1860: Denny marries Emily Parker Groom
  • 1871: Denny moves into a new house up the hill. Charles R. Dow, Denny’s farmer, takes over the Newton St. house
  • 1872: Denny dies. Wife and family remain in the house on the hill
  • Circa 1890: Charles R. Dow changes primary house to Newton St. at Grove St.
  • Circa 1898: the land owned by Denny is purchased by investors and changed to a subdivision of house lots. Wolcott Rd. created and farm house torn down

[Courtesy of the Digital Commonwealth (CC BY-NC-ND). From the Brookline Photograph Collection published by the Public Library of Brookline]