Streets of Brookline

Prev - Zoom - Next
Brookline Village, Northwest Corner, Washington St. & Davis Ave.
This building, still standing at 256 Washington St., was constructed in 1889 by the Seamans as a replacement for their two-story wood-framed store. In 1911-12, William Dexter Paine, stationer, moved his store into the building from the longtime location at 239 Washington St. To the right, at 260 Washington St. is the business of Nelson C. Thompson, upholsterer, previously located directly across the street. Steverman & Gibbons, electricians, are at 264 and H. J. Murray, plumber, is at 266 Washington St. These businesses were collectively present here from 1912 to 1917.

[Courtesy of the Digital Commonwealth (CC BY-NC-ND). From the Brookline Photograph Collection published by the Public Library of Brookline]