Streets of Brookline

Prev - Zoom - Next
Brookline Village, circa 1876
Looking south on Washington St. The third Colonnade building is seen on the left it its original position, lower than the second Colonnade building. It can be seen today higher than the second building having been raised to accommodate the widening of the bridge in 1886. In the center rear of the photo, the individual signs for the stores in the Guild Block can be seen. Prominently displayed on the end of the building is the oval sign for F. Sullivan, Plumber. To the right of that is the house known as the “old Webber house” which had two stories or more of basement below the level of the bridge where it abutted the railroad tracks.

Courtesy, Brookline Public Library. From Photographs of Brookline: taken about 1876 / Richard Hills. Call No.: BROOKLINE/Special (CAGE B.R. 974 H6).