Streets of Brookline


Prev - Zoom - Next
Guild Block, Brookline Village
Lower Washington St. looking west. This is probably circa 1911 but an exact year is difficult to determine. The date spans of the visible businesses:
  • #164 (aka 166) Washington St. (corner of the Guild Building), first floor: Thomas H. McMahon, Grocer. In 1898, he took over the existing business in which he had been a clerk and maintained it until 1919 when the building was sold to and replaced by the Brookline Bank.
  • #166 Washington St.: The Brookline Print. Visible on the upper left of the building are the names of Wallace B. Conant and Carl A. Smith. Smith joined Conant’s business in 1909 and is no longer listed with the business after 1911.
  • #166 Washington St.: Forster Bros., Upholsterers. Visible on the far upper left of the building is the sign for “Upholsterers”. The brothers were there from 1908 - 1917
  • #21 Boylston St.: John H. Shea, Horse shoer, maintained his business there until 1913. In a 1909 photo there was a large sign hanging out front which is no longer visible.


Courtesy, the Brookline Preservation Department