Streets of Brookline

Prev - Zoom - Next
House of Erosamon Drew
Located at today’s 830 Newton St., this house stood next to the Saw Mill Brook where Drew ran a saw mill. The house and mill were built in 1693 and Drew later added a tavern to serve his homemade fermented-huckleberry wine to the mill customers. The mill ceased operation around 1830 and the house burned down in 1873. The recent construction of a new house on the lot revealed old foundations and artifacts and an archeological survey was performed by a team from Boston University, headed by Mary Beaudry. Photograph by A. H. Folsom

[Courtesy of the Digital Commonwealth (CC BY-NC-ND). From the Brookline Photograph Collection published by the Public Library of Brookline]