Streets of Brookline


Prev - Zoom - Next
Panter's Building; Brookline Village, circa 1883
Washington St. continuing to the left, Harvard St. to the right. Note horse drinking water in front of the store. From left to right:
  • The roof of town hall is visible
  • Unidentified white house
  • The store with the sign for A. B. Tyrrell, Upholstery. No longer listed in 1883
  • The one-story building of Thompson Upholstery
  • The new store of Thomas H. Dyer, grocer. Dyer, a Brookline resident, had previously co-owned a store across the street, Collins and Dyer, until 1877/78 when it became the store of Henry Collins & Co., Provisions. He then worked at the provisions store of Hartwell & Skinner in Boston's New Faneuil Hall Market. He is first listed here in the 1883 directory and would occupy the left side of the Panterís building until 1904, when the building was replaced.
  • The Joyce grocery store, which had originally occupied both sides of the Panterís building. By 1883, Joyce had downsized to the right side only, seen here, and he was gone entirely by 1885. Frank F. Seamens, Groceries, would replace Joyce circa 1885 and also remain until 1904 when the building was replaced by the building that stands there today.
  • In the far distance is the steeple of St. Mary of the Assumption Church on Harvard St.