Streets of Brookline

Prev - Zoom - Next
Lower Washington St., Brookline Village, circa 1905
The businesses viewed here, along the south side of Lower Washington St., were simultaneously sited at this location from 1904 - 1906. All the structures in this photo were demolished in 1907-1908 to make way for the new fire station which opened in 1909 and remains in use today. Note the man with his wheeled bucket, center photo, presumably scooping up horse droppings. Viewed from left to right:
  • The business with the partial view of an awning is at the corner with Walnut St., the last building in this row. The best estimation is that it is the store of James Heleotis and John Sigalos Co., fruit [1904-1906]. The awning appears to advertise "Ice Cream Sodas" mirroring the sign at the corner entranceway visible in other photos.
  • An enigmatic sign over the alleyway that seems to advertise a shooting gallery. This is currently unidentified.
  • By the delivery wagon at #126 Washington St. are William Frawley, shoemaker [1889-1907]; and a bootblack, either W. L. Jacklin [1904] or Cromwell Felton [1905-1907].
  • C. E. Riley, Cigars at #128 Washington St. [1900-1907]
  • The awning at 134 Washington St. George W. Rix, Provisions and Transfer Market [1904-1907]
  • Sing Lee, laundry, which was at #136 Washington St. for over 20 years [1883-1907]
  • Hose House #1 and Chemical Engine #1 at #140 Washington St.
  • P. J. Burns, Horse Shoe Forge at #144 Washington St. [1897-1907]
  • Also at 144 Washington St. there remains a sign for R. Woodward who had a horse-shoeing business there from the 1860s until his death in 1892
  • J. H. Pineo, carpenter and builder at 4 High St. (visible at corner of Washington St) [1901-1907]

Lantern Slide Collection #60