|Brookline Village, 1920|
Looking west on Washington St. toward the start of Boylston St.
Village Square, where Washington Street met today's Route 9, was the commercial center of Brookline from the 1840s until after the Civil War. Most of its commercial and residential buildings were replaced by office buildings during the urban renewal of the 1960s. Pictured here are the still existant 1908 fire station and the transfer stations of the Boston Elevated Railway. The rail route was replaced by a bus line in the 1930s, and the rails were removed for scrap steel during World War II.