Streets of Brookline

Prev - Zoom - Next
Coolidge Corner, Circa 1920
Storefronts visible on the north side of Beacon St. include two businesses that were likely initial tenants in the newly-constucted (1913) building known as the "Pierce Block": the Stone Bros. at #1340 and A. M. Johnstone, tailor, at #1348. McElroy Bros. Real Estate, at 1352 Beacon, is first listed in the town directory of 1920. At the extreme left of the photo are the trailing letters from the sign of Simon's Shoe & Boot Shop, which opened in 1916 at #1350 and expanded in 1923 to include #1354 Beacon.

On the south side of Beacon, the third car from the left is identified as a Dodge Brothers Model Touring car, a model first introduced in 1914 and manufactured into the 1920s.

Visible on the northeast corner of Beacon and Harvard are Harvard Taxi, Poulin Bros. and Rexall.

[Courtesy of Historic New England]