People of Brookline


Prev - Large - Next
The Firemen of Station D, 1905
Station D was located at 827 Boylston St. just east of Reservoir Rd. and remains in service today as Fire Station #4. The location of this photo is not evident as the building in the photo does not appear to match the building at 827 Boylston St.
  • [Rear row, left] William Francis Norris, hose man (identified in 2022 by a grandson). He emigrated from Ireland and worked for the fire department from 1903 to 1941. In early 1905, he was transferred from Station E in Coolidge Corner to Station D (ref. Brookline Press Jan. 27, 1905, pg. 5). He remained living on today’s Leverett St. in Brookline Village despite the remove from Station D.
  • [Front row, right] ) James Christopher Lyons, engineer of steam engine #1, lived at 771a Boylston St., a short walk from the station. His father ran the “Home Bakery” store at 36 Washington St. in the Village from 1902 – 1917.
  • [Other potential names] Martin J. Dasey, driver; William J. Stitt, Captain; Daniel G. McNamara, Lieutenant; James Brutcher, Jr., Driver.


From the collection of the James Christopher Lyons Family