Recent Additions


Prev - Zoom - Next
Brookline Village, Northwest Corner, Washington St. & Davis
Washington St. going north to the right; Davis just off screen on the left. James M. Seamans moved his grocery store, that had been in the lower Village since 1848, to this location in 1865. The Seaman's second floor was used by dancing and singing schools. In 1889, the store was replaced by the four-story brick building that remains today. Martin Kingman maintained a dry goods store next door from 1865 until 1875 when he sold the business to his assistant, Elizabeth Swift.

[Courtesy of the Digital Commonwealth (CC BY-NC-ND). From the Brookline Photograph Collection published by the Public Library of Brookline]