Longwood Area and The Muddy River Photos

Prev - Zoom - Next
The Riverway Park and Old Longwood Ave. Bridge, circa 1896
[left to right] Looking west from the Riverway Park designed by Frederick Law Olmsted. A partial view of the foot bridge, still standing, going over the Muddy River toward the Winsor School; the wood bridge that was replaced by the current stone bridge in 1899; houses on Longwood Ave.; newly-constructed (1894) Chapel St.; roof of the new Longwood Boston and Albany railroad station. This photo was probably taken by Alexis H. French, the Brookline town engineer responsible for the design of the new stone bridge.

Lantern Slide Collection #206