Looking east on Beacon, standing at today's Strathmore Rd. Seen from left to right:
- Englewood Ave entering on the left directly across from the hotel
- The Reservoir Hotel complex. Note two people standing in the rear. The hotel was opened circa 1870 and gained notoriety after a number of raids for illegally selling “intoxicating liquors” and even, in 1889, a number of men from neighboring towns were rounded up while attending a dog fight there. The property was cleared in 1891.
- The tracks of the Boston and Albany Railroad running along the ridge
-
From the 1887 photo series taken just before the widening of Beacon St., most likely by Augustine H. Folsom, a Boston photographer.
incl.
Streets
Lantern Slide Collection #34