Brookline Historical Society
Recent Additions

12 Kent St.
Home of Asa and Lydia Fenn. Operated as a boarding house from the time they arrived circa 1887 until 1899. She continued to run the boarding house after his death in 1891. No longer standing.
[Source: Digital Commonwealth]
20 Kent St.
House of Rufus Candage, no longer standing. To the right is 32 Kent, still standing.
[Source: Digital Commonwealth]
190 Harvard St.
Nortwest corner of Vernon St., no longer standing.
[Source: Digital Commonwealth]
50 Kent St.
The house was built in 1837 on what is now Kent Street. From the 1860s until its demolition in 1902, it was the home to generations of the Phillips family and the doyenne of the family, Charlotte Foxcroft Phillips. Long time next-door neighbors were the Twichells. George Pierce Twichell boarded at the Phillips house while he was a student circa 1880 and later married Charlotte’s daughter, Charlotte Heywood Phillips. The date of this photo is undetermined and there are no known family configurations that match the people in the photo.
[Source: Digital Commonwealth]
497 Washington St.
Owned by Thomas Baldwin Griggs and located at the southwest corner of his farmland, across from the Gardner Path, still standing. Occupied for many years by the family of George William Pettes, a journalist. He died in 1892.
[Source: Digital Commonwealth]
370 Washington St.
David H. Daniels moved to Brookline from Medway by 1868 and became a teacher at the Pierce School. He moved into this house circa 1872, became the principal of Pierce by 1875 and became Superintendent of Schools in Brookline, with an office in town hall, by 1879. He lived in this house until his death in 1902. The house still stands.
[Source: Digital Commonwealth]
Brookline Savings Bank, 366 Washington St.
[Source: Digital Commonwealth]
20 Harvard St.
House of the Thomas Shaler Brown family from aproximately 1873 to 1901. He ran the Thomas S. Brown & Co., provisions store located at today's 145 Washington St. in Brookline Village, two blocks from his house. In 1900, it was taken over by his son, Colby, and renamed the Brookline Provision Co.
[Source: Digital Commonwealth]
63 Harvard Ave., 1900
House of the Lyman T. Clark family, still standing.
[Source: Digital Commonwealth]
Elizabeth ("Lizzie") Lincoln Fuller, circa 1882
She was born 21-Sep-1865 in Brookline. Her parents were Edward Little Fuller, a wholesaler of boots and shoes in Boston at Colburn, Fuller & Co., and Mary Cushing Doane. She is the older sister of Maybell Doane Fuller who is also pictured in the album of Alice Amory. From approximately 1879 - 1884, the family lived on Carlton St. near the intersection with Colchester St. In 1894, she married Rev. Henry North George Hall.
Mary ("Mollie") Blaisdell Gardner, circa 1882
Lived at 119 (formerly #115) Colchester St. which is still standing. Her parents were Harrison Gardner and Laura Perkins. In 1893, she married Philip Murray Reynolds, a manufacturer of knitting machines, and they lived in Boston and Milton.
Ethel Amory, circa 1882
1873 - 1940. Her parents were Arthur Amory, a dry goods merchant, and Elizabeth Wilcocks Ingersoll. The family lived in Brookline on Prescott St. from approximately 1877-1880 and then moved to Marlborough St., Boston. She never married.
Alice Cotting, circa 1882
1868 - 1947. Lived at 56 Hawes St. (formerly 1097 Beacon St.), the house is still standing. Parents were Charles Uriah Cotting and Susan Cordelia Delano. In 1879, the family moved to 249 Commonwealth Ave., Boston. In 1914, she married Edward Lawrence Kent, a banker, and they lived at the same address.
Elizabeth ("Bessie") Fiske, circa 1882
1869 - 1935. Her parents were Francis Skinner Fiske, a lawyer, and Lucy Ann Farnsworth. The family lived on Monmouth St., approximately opposite Monmouth Court, from 1872-1891. In 1901, she married George Collier Hitchcock and moved to Milton, then to St. Louis, the home town of her husband. The MFA has a portrait of her in its collection.
Alice Putnam Bacon, circa 1882
She was born in Brookline, in 1869, when the family lived on a large Clyde St. estate that is the current location of The Country Club. Her parents were Francis Edward Bacon, a cotton broker, and Louisa Crowninshield. In 1891, she married William Sturgis Hooper Lathrop.
Sarah Bigelow Howe, circa 1882
She was born 20-Apr-1869 in Bristol, Rhode Island. In 1877, her father, Rev. Reginald Heber Howe, became rector of the Church of Our Saviour on Monmouth St. Her mother was Susan Adams. The family initially lived at 6 Monmouth Ct. before moving to the church grounds at 23 Monmouth St., circa 1886. In 1896, she married George Stanley Parker. The couple initially lived around the corner from her parents, on Colchester St., before living back at the church with her parents and later moving to other locations in Brookline.
Maybell Doane Fuller, circa 1882
She was born 3-May-1868 in Boston, Massachusetts. Her parents were Edward Little Fuller, a wholesaler of boots and shoes in Boston at Colburn, Fuller & Co., and Mary Cushing Doane. She is the younger sister of Elizabeth Fuller who is also pictured in the album of Alice Amory. From approximately 1879 - 1884, the family lived on Carlton St. near the intersection with Colchester St. She died 8-Apr-1893 of scarlet fever, at the age of 24, and was never married.
Elizabeth ("Lizzie") Lincoln Fuller, circa 1882
She was born 21-Sep-1865 in Brookline. Her parents were Edward Little Fuller, a wholesaler of boots and shoes in Boston at Colburn, Fuller & Co., and Mary Cushing Doane. She is the older sister of Maybell Doane Fuller who is also pictured in the album of Alice Amory. From approximately 1879 - 1884, the family lived on Carlton St. near the intersection with Colchester St. In 1894, she married Rev. Henry North George Hall.
Runkle School Children
Buildings demolished in 1962 and replaced by the current buildings at 50 Druce St.
Runkle School, Graduating Students, 1921
Buildings demolished in 1962 and replaced by the current buildings at 50 Druce St.
Prev [1]  2  [3] Next
 
© 2016 Brookline Historical Society. All rights reserved.