Brookline Historical Society
Longwood Area and The Muddy River

256 Kent St., 1888.
House of John Gardner Curtis and his wife, Helen Mary Bramhall. Northwest corner of the old Stearns St., now Newell Rd., the house is no longer standing. It is likely that the little girl in the photo is their daughter, Harriett G. Curtis, born 26-Nov-1884.
9 Francis St., 1888.
Residence of George P. May. Kent St. to the right, the old Lawrence School is partially visible on the left. House still standing.
217 Kent St., 1888.
Residence of Llewellyn Powers, no longer standing. #203 is visble to the right. Powers was a multi-term congressman from Maine and two-time governor of that state. He was also a lawyer and decided, in 1887, to leave public service in Maine to practice law in Massachusetts. He spent four years in Brookline and then returned to politics in Maine.
259 Kent St., circa 1888
Built 1875, designed by S. Edwin Tobey, still standing. House of Daniel Barrett, a manager at Whitman and Barnes Manufacturing Co., Boston
287 Kent St., Corner of Longwood Ave., 1888.
Still standing.
St. Paul St. at Stearns Rd.., November 1915
Looking north from Stearns Rd. #93, 97,101, 105, apartment buildings all still standing.
[Source: Olmsted]
Prev [1] [2]  3 
 
© 2016 Brookline Historical Society. All rights reserved.