Brookline Historical Society
Coolidge Corner Area Photos

Coolidge Corner, 1915(?)
Coolidge Corner, 1917
Boulevard Trust Co., Coolidge Corner
Inbound trolley stand, Boulevard Trust building at 1319 Beacon St. and rear of Charles Stearns' house; Harvard St. on the right.
Coolidge Corner, 1937
Coolidge Corner, 1940s
S. S. Pierce Building, February 5, 1927
Looking at the S. S. Pierce building from Green St. Visible at 276 Harvard St. is Frey's Hairdressing Parlors, run by Louisa Frey and later by her son, Douglas C. Frey. The shop had recently moved from across the street and remained there into the 1940s.
[Source: Digital Commonwealth]
Coolidge Corner Universalist Church
Built 1906; Coolidge Corner Theater today
Harvard St., Coolidge Corner, February 5, 1927
From left to right:
::284 Harvard St. – S. Buxbaum & Co. Provisions
::286 Harvard St. – Beacon Universalist Church
::288 Harvard St. – M. Malmrose, Printing and Coolidge Corner Moving
[Source: Digital Commonwealth]
Green St., Coolidge Corner, February 5, 1927
Looking down Green St. from Harvard St. Gurley’s Bakery on the corner. Possibly shown: newsboys with their wagon on a Saturday.
[Source: Digital Commonwealth]
Babcock Hill, circa 1900
Viewed from Babcock St.; top of Summit Ave. in the distance; houses on Naples Rd to the right; Rear of the Gallagher house (still stands) on the left which faces Devotion St. across from the old Devotion firehouse. Babcock Hill was leveled to fill in Babcock Pond making way for new developments.
Devotion St. Engine House
Looking south from Babcock Pond toward Devotion St. behind the Devotion School. Gallagher house mid-left photo; Charles Stearns house far left. Babcock Pond was part of a creek system flowing south from Commonwealth Ave. and was filled in
Devotion St. Engine House
Devotion St. Engine House
Engine #2, later moved to Washington Sq. Firehouse
Edward Devotion House, Harvard St.
One of the oldest colonial structures in Brookline, owned and operated by the Historical Society. Constructed in its present state in 1740 with parts dating from 1680.
Edward Devotion House, Harvard St
Edward Devotion House Rear, 1904
Edward Devotion House
347 Harvard St. Shown before the development of the Babcock Pond area and the 1898 erection of the left wing of the Devotion School and with the barn is still standing. Fencing around the old creek is visible in the rear.
[Source: Historic New England]
Beacon St. at Webster Ave, 1887
Looking east from the corner of Beacon & Webster Ave., one block west of Coolidge Corner. The William Coolidge house is in the foreground followed by the Glidden W. Joy house to its left. Webster Ave. goes to the right.

From the 1887 photo series taken just before the widening of Beacon St.
[Source: Digital Commonwealth]
Beacon St. East of Webster Ave, 1887
Looking west on Beacon St. From left to right: the William Coolidge house, Webster Ave. entering Beacon St., the Samuel Hutchinson house.

From the 1887 photo series taken just before the widening of Beacon St.
[Source: Digital Commonwealth]
Stedman St. and Devotion School Playground, Early 1900s
44 and 48 Stedman St in the background.
Prev [1]  2  [3] Next
 
© 2016 Brookline Historical Society. All rights reserved.