Brookline Historical Society
Beacon St. Photos, East to West

Beacon House
Actually located in Boston at the intersection of Beacon St. and Brookline Ave. Beacon St. was originally known as the Mill Road Dam and was constructed to wall off the channel of water in the Charles River extending from the Boston Common to Brookline
Beacon St. at Park Dr., Boston
Looking west from the Boston line just west of Park Dr. Buildings still stand.
Beacon St. Near the Boston Line, February 1921
North side looking east toward St. Mary's St. Left to right: #1032 (no longer standing); #1022, The Ginter Co., groceries (still standing); #1020, the first brownstone (no longer standing); #1018, the only brownstone still standing; #s 1016, 14, 12, 10, 8, 6, 4, 2 have all been demolished.
[Source: Olmsted]
Beacon St. at St. Marys
999-1011 Beacon St., Circa 1920
From right to left:
#1011
#1009a: Margaret J. Stout & Co. Dry Goods
#1009: Victor Goldman & Son, Tailors
#1007: Robert C. Ware, Home Method Kitchen
#1005: Heath & Co., Confectioners
#1001-3: B.A. Freeman, Provisions
#999: C. H. Hitchcock, Druggist

[Courtesy of the Digital Commonwealth (CC BY-NC-ND). From the Brookline Photograph Collection published by the Public Library of Brookline]
[Source: Digital Commonwealth]
1038 Beacon St.
Near the Boston line, exists today.
Beacon St. & Carlton St. Before 1888
Beacon St (l to r) before widening; Carlton St. looking north; school house on corner. Note driveway of John Ruggles on the right.
Beacon St, North Side Between Carlton St. and Amory
1080 Beacon and 1070 Beacon in the center, all existing today
Beacon St. Looking West From Carlton St., 1887
Champlin's stable visible on the right
Beacon St & Carlton St., February 1901
Horse-drawn sleighs going east, just past Carlton St. This photograph was taken by Thomas E. Marr and appeared in the Feb. 17, 1901 edition of the Boston Sunday Post along with the following article. Illegible passages are indicated by [...].

Noted Men and Women Behind Speedy Horses on the Beacon Boulevard
All the past week the bells jingle the right merrily out on the boulevard, and the people who enjoy sleighing, and are so fortunate as to possess a horse or two, were out to enjoy the sport. It was a trifle too cold to suit some of the more luxurious, and it was a bit surprising that more sleighs did not venture out to take advantage of the really excellent sleighing which the fates so seldom decree to Bostonians. It is becoming evident that the boulevard is rather given over to the sporty element and the men who have fine horses to show off, and that the “400” are most frequently seen further out of town and in the vicinity of the Country Club. There were enough well-known people out, however, to make quite a showing, and here are a few of them: Mr. J Reed Whipple of Commonwealth Avenue, who owns some of the finest horses in the city, has been a familiar figure the past week and has had out a number of his beauties attached to stylish sleighs. Mr. John Shepherd, who delights in the sport, has made the most of his opportunities and shown some extremely high-class animals. Mrs. Shepard cares nothing for sleighing and only ventured out for a little while last Sunday. Mr. Eben Jordan, too, has shown some of the most beautiful horses noted this winter.

Mrs. H.L. Perry of Fairfield Street has been out in her handsome Russian sleigh, drawn by a fine pair, and […] W. Borland of Marboro […] also seen in his Russian […] span of horses.

Mrs. M. E. Rice has […] familiar figure in a stylish […] and Mrs. M. W. Rice and […] were out behind quite a […] animals.

The Lawson […] Mrs. Lawson, seated in the […] sleighs imaginable, drawn by […], have been often seen, […] Lawson apparently has little […] to this form of amusement […] been looked for vainly.

[…] Gardner pays a daily visit to the […] edifice she is erecting in the […] drives over in her brougham […] not join the throngs of people in sleighs.

Mr. Barneke of Hotel Essex, in a light single sleigh drawn by one horse, has been among the many enthusiasts, and Mr. C. W. Barron’s pair and Russian sleigh have been seen more than once.

Mr. F. M. Crosby of the Tuileries, who has several good horses, has been out almost every day, his horses exciting general admiration, and Mr. E. W. Knight of the Vendome has been out with his pair on several locations.

And speaking of hotel men reminds us that Mr. and Mrs. Herbert Barnes of the Brunswick have braved the icy winds to enjoy the sleighing, Mr. Barnes handling the reins over his fleet horse.

Mr. Charles Hayden of the Somerset has one or two good horses, which he drives in a light cutter, and Mr. A. B. Scelay of Commonwealth Avenue drives a really high-class cob, attached to a light sleigh.

Mr. and Mrs. R. H. Stearns of the Somerset, behind their dignified pair, are familiar figures, and Mr. W A. Gaston is the fortunate owner of a high-stepping horse and light sleigh, which makes a happy combination, both as regards speed and looks.

Mr. and Mrs. E. L. Davis of Commonwealth Avenue have a very handsome pair of horses which travel well together, and Mr. and Mrs. Hollingsworth have also a fine pair and stylish sleigh. Mr. Caleb Chase of Brookline created quite a sensation by appearing Tuesday afternoon with his beautiful horse “Don,” which has a modest record of 2:18, and showed to great advantage in a light sleigh. Mrs. Chase enjoys the sport from the vantage of her luxurious Russian sleigh with span and coachman and all the comforts of riches furs and wraps. Mr. Albert S. Bigelow of Fairfield Street, the newly elected commodore of the Eastern Yacht Club, has shown some of the most valuable and desirable horses of the season. Mrs. Bigelow frequently accompanies her husband. Their sleighs are unusually stylish and the appearance they present is most elegant.

Professor Charles S. Sargent of Holm Lee and his family are often noted, having a number of horses and sleighs. Mrs. Sargent, Miss Sargent and Mrs. Guy Lowell all seem to enjoy the pastime.

Mr. and Mrs. H. Staples Potter of Commonwealth Avenue although, processing several sleighs, a cutter and Russian among them, and some valuable horses, care less than nothing for sleighing and have only been out once this winter.

Mr. and Mrs. E. V. R. Thayer and Mr. John Thayer certainly made the most of their opportunities, and have been seen frequently, their horses and sleigh being fully up to the mark of excellence.

Others seen at various times are Mrs. T. B. Williams, whose pair of horses and sleigh are very desirable; Mr. and Mrs. Henry B. Temby of Brookline, with light cutter and brown mare; Mrs. Henry N. Sawyer, with luxuriously sleigh piled high with furs, and cob; Mr. Saltonstall, Mr. John Richardsonl Mr. H. Edgar Hendley of the Athletic Club, and a lot more.

Lovers of horseback riding are not lacking in the convivial sense and among those seen our Mr. Rice with his daughter, Miss Rice; Mr. George A. Nickerson, Mr. William Merrill. theMisses Forbes of Milton, Miss Carr of Marlboro Street, Miss [?], Miss Evans and Miss Tucker.

Certainly the elements which have been very sparing of their snow for the past few winters have come bravely to the fore this winter and there is little to be desired in the general excellence of the sleighing possibilities which have prevailed of late. February thaws and March winds will soon make snow something of the past, and with this knowledge in view it is not to be wondered at that enthusiastic lovers of horses, sleighing and the bracing air of genuine winter have a availed themselves of the rare privilege of his spinning over in the roads, which have never been in better condition for the truly delightful pastime.

Beacon St. Between Hawes & Carlton, 1911
Looking east, Right to left: #1081,1079, 1077, 1075, 1073, 1071
Beacon St. & Powell, The Amory Estate, 1887
Looking north from Beacon. Powell St. is just off to the left. Built 1846, located at today's 20 Amory St, Amory Park is toward the right. Burned down after the death of Anna Amory in 1895.
Richmond Court Apartments
Beacon St. between and Marshall St. and St. Paul St.
Hampton Court Apartments
Beacon St. and St. Paul
195 St. Paul St., November 11, 1915
Looking north from Beacon St.
[Source: Olmsted]
126 St. Paul St., November 1915
Looking north from Beacon St.
[Source: Olmsted]
St. Paul St., November 1915
Looking north from Beacon St.
[Source: Olmsted]
2 Charles St.
Sears family home, looking north. Left, rear: Buildings on Pleasant St. on property owned by James Stearns.
[Source: Smithsonian]
2 Charles St.
Sears family home. Beacon St. to the left. Only structure in photo that is still standing.
[Source: Smithsonian]
Beacon St., Looking West toward Coolidge Corner From St. Paul St.
Left side of Beacon: C.H. Stearns house;
Center left, in the distance, James Whitney house on northeastern corner of Pleasant St.
Right side: James Stearns property on eastern side of Pleasant
 1  [2] [3] [4] [5] Next
 
© 2016 Brookline Historical Society. All rights reserved.